Sermon Recap: Promises of God, Habakkuk 3:17-19
God Promises His Strength
1. Christians Are Not Entitled to Worldly Luxury
- Explanation: Christians should not expect a life free from hardships or think they are entitled to worldly luxuries. The prosperity gospel, which promises material blessings for faith, is misleading.
- Bible Verse: John 15:20 – “Remember what I told you: ‘A servant is not greater than his master.’ If they persecuted me, they will persecute you also.”
2. Faith in God is the Key
- Explanation: Faith in God is crucial for navigating life’s challenges. Putting faith in worldly things or circumstances will ultimately lead to disappointment.
- Bible Verse: Habakkuk 2:4 – “Look at the proud! They trust in themselves, and their lives are crooked. But the righteous will live by their faithfulness to God.”
- Additional Verse: Ephesians 2:8 – “For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God.”
3. Repetition Strengthens Faith
- Explanation: Repeatedly engaging with God’s Word through church attendance, prayer, and scripture memorization helps deepen faith.
- Bible Verse: 2 Corinthians 4:16-18 – “So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day.”
4. Remember God’s Faithfulness
- Explanation: Habakkuk recounts God’s past faithfulness, emphasizing the importance of remembering God’s goodness during difficult times.
- Bible Verses: Habakkuk 3:6, 11-13 – Descriptions of God’s past interventions, e.g., “He stood, and shook the earth…”
5. Rejoice in the Lord
- Explanation: Praising God, speaking about His wonders, and taking joy in the Lord’s salvation are vital practices for maintaining a positive outlook.
- Bible Verse: Habakkuk 3:18 – “yet I will rejoice in the Lord; I will take joy in the God of my salvation.”
6. Adonai is Your Strength
- Explanation: Recognizing God’s different names, such as Adonai, highlights His power and authority. God’s sovereign control provides strength.
- Bible Verse: Habakkuk 3:19 – “God, the Lord, is my strength; he makes my feet like the deer’s; he makes me tread on my high places.”
7. God’s Presence is Power
- Explanation: The story of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego underscores the importance of God’s presence, even in challenging situations.
- Bible Verse: Daniel 3:16-18 – The response of the three men to King Nebuchadnezzar’s threat.
8. Build Your Foundation on Jesus
- Explanation: Placing faith in Jesus and His teachings is compared to building a house on a solid foundation. The storms of life will come, but a foundation on Jesus ensures stability.
- Bible Verse: Matthew 7:24-27 – The parable of building on the rock or sand, emphasizing the importance of a solid foundation.
9. God Answers Through His Presence
- Explanation: Habakkuk didn’t receive direct answers but experienced God’s presence. Sometimes, God’s presence is the answer to our questions.
- Bible Verse: Isaiah 41:10 “Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.”
10.Trust the One Holding the Pen
- Explanation: We may not know the future, but trusting in God, who holds the pen of our lives, provides assurance and guidance.
- Bible Verse: Romans 8:28 “And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.”